History of North Ogden
History of North Ogden
by John Q. Blaylock in 1922
William Robert Cazier, a son of Benjamin Cazier and Isabel Montgomery, and was born at North Ogden, Weber, Utah on May 3, 1863. He was baptized 4 Sep 1871 by John Brown, and confirmed next day by Franklin Clifford. He was ordained a deacon on 12 Jan 1878 by Benjamin Cazier.
He was ordained an Elder 13 Jan 1885, and a Seventy 14 mar 1886. He married Delia Alvord, daughter of Joseph B. Alvord and Leonora H. Berrett, who was born 26 mar 1865 at North Ogden. He was buried in the North Ogden Cemetery. His wife, Delia, was also buried in the North Ogden Cemetery.
Annie Storey, wife of Samuel Berrett, was baptized at North Ogden by Thomas Brown, on 6 Jul 1878, and confirmed the next day by Benjamin Cazier
On the 4 mar 1851, Benjamin Cazier, and others, returned to North Ogden, and Farr’s Fort, to avenge the death of a white settler, who was killed by Indians.
Following are dates of interest:
|25 May 1862
|Benjamin Cazier and Isabel Montgomery were married.
|22 Sep 1863
|During this time, there was a great schism in the church here in North Ogden. A group called the “Josephites” were making inroads among the ward members. Many were excommunicated. Also a group calling themselves the “Morrisites” tried to convert ward members. This group of 500 + souls were eventually banished, but their leader claimed to have the authority from Joseph Smith to lead his people back to Jackson County. Benjamin Cazier and others were involved in this fight.
|17 Apr 1863
|“Father Robert Montgomery died at 11 PM of Erysipelas, in His 63rd year. He was a good, honest, faithful man.”
|8 Nov 1863
|Benjamin Cazier Selected as counselor in Ward Bishopric.
|23 Mar 1864
|Robert Montgomery and Ann Chadwick were married
|19 Apr 1864
|Nathaniel Montgomery, and others, start back for some Immigrating Saints. They had a Wagon and 6 yoke of cattle to be used in the rescue.
|14 Sep 1864
|Nathaniel Montgomery and party returned from helping to rescue the Saints
|19 Dec 1865
|James Montgomery and Elizabeth Williams were married
|1 Dec 1867
|New meetinghouse dedicated by President Lorin Farr
|1 Jan 1868
|Nathaniel Montgomery and Nancy Clark are married
|29 Nov 1868
|North Ogden Co-op brick store built on the corner now occupied by John Bailey
|4 Jul 1869
|Fred W. Ellis took his choir of 50 members up onto the “Pole Patch” for a days outing
|6 Sep 1869
|Fred W. Ellis and Susan K. Davis were married in the Salt Lake Endowment House
|7 Apr 1871
|Alma Cazier, Son of Benjamin Cazier, died
|15 Jan 1873
|The first church meeting was held in the West District, resulting in the organization of the Pleasant View Ward, with Edward W. Wade as Bishop.
|19 Feb 1874
|Hyrum Smith Montgomery was caught in a snow slide in Ogden Hold Canyon, causing great excitement, calling out practically the whole town to get him out, but he was dead.
|21 Feb 1874
|Funeral for Hyrum Smith Montgomery
|Benjamin Cazier and Nathaniel Montgomery called as counselors to Bishop Wheelock
|7 May 1876
|Mary Wilson Montgomery, Wife of Robert Montgomery, Sr. and Mother of Nathaniel Montgomery, died
|14 Oct 1876
|James Storey became president of the Y.M.M.I.A., and served for a number of years
|26 May 1877
|Benjamin Cazier called as a counselor to Bishop Maycock, and James Storey as the ward clerk
|30 May 1877
|James Montgomery called on mission to the States
|26 Feb 1880
|Alonzo Chadwick and Donna Williams were married by Nathaniel Montgomery, Justice of the Peace.
|28 May 1880
|Henrietta Cazier, Wife of Frederick, died.
|25 Aug 1881
|Sarah Jane Barker became the plural wife of Frederick W. Ellis. The ceremony was performed by Joseph F. Smith in the Salt Lake Endowment House.
|North Ogden settlers needed another school in the southeast part of the community. The settler’s organized a school district and built “The Sage Brush Academy”. Information about the log structure comes from the diary of its first teacher, Edward Joseph Davis. After a new brick building was built, the old log building was sold to Edward Joseph Davis, and he moved it to Garners Lane, or about 981 E 1700 N 9 Jul 1882 the West portion of the ward was detached, forming the Pleasant View Ward, with Edward Wade as Bishop
|30 Sep 1882
|ames Storey returned from the Railroad Camp, whither he had gone to keep books for the William Bailey Camp.
|29 Mar 1884
|Charles Storey and Elizabeth Ward were married
|4 Aug 1884
|Robert G. Montgomery and Mary Hill were married.
|16 Apr 1888
|Town water was first put in a meeting held in the schoolhouse, and presided over by Benjamin Cazier.
|14 Dec 1888
|Adna Ferrin and Lillian G. Ellis were married in the Logan Temple.
|20 Feb 1889
|Benjamin Cazier, an aged veteran of the ward, died.
|29 Jun 1891
|William Elijah Shaw’s leg was wound up in his grandmother’s buggy wheel, and had to be amputated 2 Dec 1891.
|29 Oct 1891
|Joseph A. Montgomery and Maggie Bartlett were married in the Logan Temple
|23 Nov 1892
|Jas. A. Montgomery and Annie L. White were married in the Logan Temple
|21 Dec 1892
|William A. Montgomery and Anna C. Nielson, of Weston, Idaho, were married in the Logan Temple.
|25 Jan 1893
|William Bailey, Jr and Rose E. Brown were married in the Logan Temple.
|10 Sep 1893
|North Ogden Sunday School of 255 officers and teachers were photographed on the lawn of Nathaniel Montgomery.
|1 Nov 1893
|Fred G. Ellis and Rachel Hill were married in the temple.
|5 Nov 1893
|Fred W. Ellis was released as ward chorister after 24 years of service in that capacity.
|6 Nov 1893
|FRED W. ELLIS departed for a mission to Tasmania in the Pacific Islands.
|18 Jan 1894
|Annual meeting of North Ogden Ecclesiastical Ward was held. The following Board of Directors was elected:Thomas Wallace, Nathaniel Montgomery, James Ward, John Rex, Benjamin Blaylock, Charles Storey, Frederick Ellis, and George Dean.
|14 Feb 1894
|Meeting of the Board of Directors of the North Ogden Library Association was held. B.F. Blaylock, Samuel Storey, and Kate Montgomery were elected as librarians.
|12 Mar 1894
|Annual conference of the Ward was held, and Thomas Wallace was continued as Bishop, with Nathaniel Montgomery, and James
Ward as Counselors.
|24 Jan 1895
|The Union Cemetery Association in annual meeting elected James Storey as a Director.
|1 Mar 1895
|Lilly Montgomery in charge of West Room Sunday School.
|12 May 1895
|Fred W. Ellis, after a service of 18 years,8 months, and 9 days, was released as Supt. of the North Ogden Sunday School.
|11 Aug 1895
|First meeting held in the New Meeting House after its completion, was addressed by James Storey.
|1 May 1895
|Alma Montgomery left for a mission to Europe.
|22 Apr 1896
|Heber J. Randall and Mary Lillian Montgomery married in the Salt Lake Temple.
|27 May 1896
|Fred W. Ellis returned from a 2 1⁄2 year mission to the Pacific Islands.
|13 Jul 1896
|Thomas B. Storey elected as a member of the local school board.
|3 Oct 1896
|Olive A. Storey, Wife of Thomas B. Storey, died.
|4 Nov 1896
|Joseph S. Storey and Alice E. Ellis were married in Salt Lake Temple
|1 Jan 1897
|William R. Cazier succeeded William M. Ellis as Constable
|15 Apr 1897
|Cyrus Ward and Juliet Wade were married in the Salt Lake Temple
|15 Dec 1897
|Susan E. Ellis was married in the Salt Lake Temple to Joseph A. Fields.
|31 Mar 1898
|Margaret A. Montgomery, Daughter of Robert and Ann Montgomery, was married to Alfred Lee.
|16 Nov 1898
|Joseph Smith Cazier departed for a mission to the Southern States.
|26 Feb 1899
|The first religion class was organized in the Ward. Mary A. Storey and Polly Storey were named as assistant principals.
|2 Mar 1899
|A surprise birthday party was given Georgina Montgomery, President of the YLMIA
|14 Jan 1896
|William Bailey filed a mining claim named “Sixteen to One” up in Ogden Canyon. In the space of 6 years, there were 21 mining claims filed by the Saints. Mining fever was strong in the North Ogden area. One mine named “Ben Lomond” had a fifteen foot vein of silver with croppings over 1000 feet long.
List of Family Members Called on Missions From 1873 to 1930 from North Ogden Area:
|31 Mar 1873
|Edward W. Wade
|5 May 1877
|Fred W. Ellis
|9 Oct 1893
|1 May 1896
|Joseph E. Storey
|11 Nov 1899
|22 Nov 1899
|Wm. A. Montgomery
|27 Nov 1901
|Thomas A. Storey
|16 Nov 1904
|23 Apr 1905
|Charles A. Shaw
|15 May 1905
|14 Nov 1905
|Charles W. Ellis
|11 Dec 1907
|J. Cyrus Bailey
|9 Nov 1909
|Joseph Smith Cazier
|18 Nov 1909
|John S. Storey
|28 Nov 1910
|Claude A. Ellis
|5 Jun 1912
|21 Feb 1915
|Joseph A. Shaw
|21 Nov 1916
|10 Jan 1918
|Parley A. Shaw
|9 Apr 1919
|9 Jun 1919
|Karl S. Storey
|7 Jan 1920
|John M. Bailey
|13 Apr 1920
|Floyd W. Montgomery
|16 Feb 1922
|J. Leroy Montgomery
|8 Nov 1922
|Floyd A. Bailey
|4 Dec 1922
|Mary L. Storey
|5 Dec 1923
|6 Dec 1925
|6 Dec 1926
|22 Aug 1927
|28 Nov 1927
Between 1864 and 1869, North Ogden residents such as Joseph Alvord, William Bailey, Joseph and William Montgomery, and Benjamin Cazier found a profitable market for all the produce they could haul into the Montana mining camps. A center of trading for North Ogden freighters and others on their way to the north or West was Corinne, Utah.
Following is a brief biography of William Bailey, one of the early North Ogden residents:
“William did not care too much about farming so he rented his farm out a great deal of the time, and he and the Montgomery boys began freighting.
Corinne was a very industrious town at this time because the railroad unloaded its freight coming from the East to the West. The trains were hauling black powder and supplies for the gold and silver mines in Butte, Montana. Here at Corinne, William would load up his wagons with the supplies to be taken to Montana. It took about four weeks to make the round trip. The country was very rough and unsettled. A few of the main campgrounds were Albion, and Hailey, Idaho; Glenn’s Ferry, and Belle’s View.
It was a desert from Albion to Hailey, and they had to haul the water in barrels for their horses to drink. The barrels were carried on the sides of their wagons and they had from six to eight horses and two wagons to make the trip. At Glenn’s Ferry, they crossed a river and drove into Belle’s View where they could see Butte, Montana in the distance. At Helena, Montana, they unloaded their freight for the gold mines. After resting their tired horses for a day or two, they would drive back to Corinne for a new supply of freight. There was plenty of nice, green grass along the roads so the horses were well taken care of.
This he worked at for several years. The Indians were very troublesome at this time and they had to watch their horses very closely at night to keep them from stealing them. The men would always sleep with their six-shooters under their pillows.
William Bailey was also in the brick making business here in North Ogden:
There was a big building boom in North Ogden, so he opened up a brick yard on his farm located in North Ogden. This brickyard had improved facilities for drying the bricks which he produced. He got a contract to make one million common bricks for the Utah Loan and Trust Company, which at the present time is known as the Eccles Building. He also made and furnished the bricks for the W. H. Wright and Sons, which at the present time is the Boyle Furniture Company store, and many other small buildings.
He also obtained a contract to build the Agricultural College at Logan, Utah. He had fifteen or twenty men working for him making bricks and several teams hauling the bricks into Ogden. It took almost two years to complete the building in Ogden. When he began to make the bricks for the college in Logan, he built a brickyard at Logan.
The Storey Brothers also had a large brickyard west of approximately 2050 North Washington Boulevard. This was just West of the residence of Robert Montgomery in a field owned by Marlon Berrett.
The population in North Ogden increased rapidly in 1852 and 1853. It developed as an industrial center. During these years was found a grist mill, sawmills, cane mills, blacksmith shops, lime kilns, tanneries, and several mercantile businesses. Among early North Ogden settlers there were twelve blacksmiths, six shoemakers, two tanners, seven brick makers, three carpenters, four cabinet makers, and one coffin maker.
One of the first industries in North Ogden grew out of the pioneers’ great need for lumber. To meet this need, Samuel Ferrin and his sons built the first known North Ogden sawmill on Rice Creek hollow in the northeast part of the valley. An early spring flood, roaring down the Rice Creek channel, struck the mill and washed it away. Undaunted, the Ferrins’ built another sawmill on Cold Water Creek.
An early family member who was a carpenter was Edmund Ellis.
One of the two known weavers in North Ogden was John Davis.
Ben Lomond Cemetery
On June 6, 1892, citizens from North Ogden and Pleasant View met in the North Ogden ward to consider forming a cemetery association. James Storey as acting secretary, Edward W. Wade, Nathaniel Montgomery and others were there assembled. The association was to be free to all citizens, LDS and non-LDS. The purpose of the association was to acquire lands for a cemetery.
Nathaniel Montgomery recommended that the name of the association should be the North Ogden and Pleasant View Cemetery Association, but the citizens did not adopt a name at that time. Instead, the citizens appointed John Seamon, Nathaniel Montgomery, and George S. Dean as a committee to write articles of incorporation for the association. Finally, the name chosen for the group was The Union Cemetery Association, with the name of the cemetery being North Ogden Cemetery.
On 1 Jun 1920, impressive memorial services were held in the North Ogden Cemetery. The general program was under the direction of Bishop Frederick Barker. Graves decorated included those of Edward Wade of the Mexican War, and James Shaw and Joseph Lawrence Cazier of World War 1. Others were also decorated. The following also served in World War 1: Robert Ellis, Charles B. Farr, Joseph K. Montgomery, James Shaw, and Harold and Benjamin Storey, and others.
Quite a number of our family also served in World War II.
North Ogden Constables, Sheriffs, or Chiefs of Police:
|William R. Cazier
North Ogden Justices of the Peace:
|1861-1862, 1863-1869, 1870-1875
Plural Marriage in North Ogden:
The second plural marriage involved Edward Davis Wade to Mary Ellen Page on 3 Jan 1852.
Farming And Ranching in North Ogden:
Four brothers, Hyrum, Nathaniel, Joseph, & Alma Bailey, started a sizeable sheep business in about 1925. They grazed from 1600 to 2000 sheep on a range extending from the summit of North Ogden Canyon to Ben Lomond Peak. In the fall, the sheep were moved to a ranch owned by Nathaniel Bailey in Albion, Idaho. Hubert Bailey, a cousin, tended them in Albion through the winter. After the ewes “lambed out” in early spring, the herd was trailed back to the summer range in the moujntains north and east of North Ogden. When the herdsmen needed help or supplies on the summer range, they lit a signal fire on the face of Ben Lomond Peak. The brothers had to sell their herd during the depression.
In 1930, Joseph Bailey and his wife, Elsie Rosetta Christensen, went back into the sheep business. They started with a flock of 1000 sheep, and enlarged it to 1500. JOSEPH bought land on the east side of Ben Lomond Peak, including a section from the railroad. He homesteaded Section 10, where he built a cabin. One of his herdsman was Bert Barron.
The following quotation taken from a Bailey family diary, describes homesteading activities on Section 10:
“Joseph and Bert Barron cut pine trees down and built a nice cabin on top of the mountain just before you make the steep climb to the peak. He made seven trips up the mountain leading a pack horse behind, getting the furniture up to the cabin. The cabin furniture consisted of a table, two chairs, a small cook stove, wash bench, bedding and cooking utensils. This was all carried up the mountain trail, plus food and other supplies on his pack horse named Bob. The bed he built was made out of pine boughs and was soft and comfortable.
Also, three large corrals were built out of pine logs he cut. These were used to put the sheep in when it was time to brand or cut out the lambs for market. Joseph developed a spring, and made large pond of clear, cold water. He allowed other sheepmen to use the spring and corrals”.
In 1947, Joseph sold his range land and all of his sheep except for about 50 which he kept near his home until his death in 1963.
On 18 Jan 1967, an agent of the United States Government wrote a letter to Joseph’s daughter, Anna Lee Eckardt, informing her that the homestead development was being named in honor of her father.
In 1897, William Hill, his cousin, Samuel Ferrin, and his brother-in-law, Milton Holmes, purchased a horse power threshing machine called the “Roaring Lion”, that could thresh as much as 250 bushels of grain in ten hours. These three, with a crew, threshed much of the grain raised in North Ogden, Pleasant View, Willard, Liberty, and Eden. Samuel’s job was to measure the threshed grain and repair the thresher. Farmers whose grain was being threshed also helped with the threshing. Neighbors came from miles around with teams to assist. Many trained teams provided power for the “Roaring Lion.” A trained driver knew by the roar of the machine whether or not the horses needed to be slowed down or sped up.
North Ogden Canal:
During peak use, the canal carried 45 second feet of water. Shares of water were allocated to land owners according to the amount of time each individual worked on the canal. In 1875, the canal users incorporated with Nathaniel Montgomery as president, Benjamin Cazier as vice president, and others. Directors were James Montgomery, Jacob Ferrin, and others. Approximately 275 farmers depended on water from the canal to irrigate 5000 acres of land.
Some of the most prominent North Ogden actors of early times were the following:
Edward W. Wade, Franklin Wade, Sarah J. Wade, Jane Alvord, Charles Storey, Thomas Storey, James Storey, John M. Bailey, J. Cyrus Bailey, Mabel Storey, J.E. Storey, Charles A. Shaw, and others.
There was an exchange of dramatic productions among communities such as North Ogden, Liberty, Willard, Pleasant View, Plain City, and Ogden. Joseph Shaw reports that in one play, the villain, John Bailey, was so intense and emotional that most of the parents had to take their children out of the theater, for they were getting hysterical.
Some of the early North Ogden musicians were Joseph E. Storey, Fred Ellis, Joseph Ellis, Thomas Storey, Charles Storey, Charles Ellis, Claude Ellis, and others.
Relief Society in North Ogden organized in 1868:
Our Cazier family relatives were deeply involved in this women’s organization. During pioneer times, the relief society sisters gave much money to the Perpetual Emigration Fund used to pay for passage of converts to Utah. They contributed money to Salt Lake Temple, for missionary work, and for genealogy. They bought US Savings Bonds, and helped the Red Cross. They sent food overseas, and loaned money to needy members, and gave outright gifts of money, food, and clothing to their neighbors. Their deeds are almost overwhelming in scope.
First meeting in remodeled ward bldg held on 3 Nov 1867: Stake President Lorin Farr presided at the meeting. The building was 34 by 24 feet, with a gallery 14 by 24, and the means to build it was raised by voluntary contributions.